Monday, January 16, 2012

ALES Intro Blog

Welcome!

I'm Jasveer Brar, but prefer to go by Jessie. This is my first time blogging and I'm unsure how I feel about this. It's exciting but confusing and I feel like I'll be spending lots of time on here! I am a third-year student at the U of A in the Nutrition and Food Sciences Major. It took a long time for me to figure out what I wanted to do and just as importantly, what I DON'T want to do, and this was a comfortable fit. I have a curious mind where I am always ready to explore and learn. In my mind, that is essential for a career where there is always new information presenting itself. I can't say I am a library of knowledge in regards to this career but I have the drive and the hunger to learn. I also cannot say where I will end up in 5 years, but I know I want to work towards becoming a Registered Dietitian. Although working in a clinical setting is intriguing, I can see myself educating and perhaps working with some variation of an outreach program where I am able to visit different groups of people. What I love about this arena of work is that there are options! Options of where to work, who to work for, and what kind of work to be doing! I'm mind-numbingly anxious and nervous of what the future holds, but excited nonetheless!

(taken from personal library of pictures)
That is me (on the left) and my sister this past summer in England. I love, love, love England and have always wanted to live there, even for just a year. Interesting fact: I was born in Reading, England and moved to Edmonton when I was three years old. There are numerous places I want to travel and hope that I can cross them off of my bucket list one day.

In this day and age, social media has become a lifeline for the majority of us. Many people use it to connect with family and friends that are dispersed around the world. For some people, it is an outlet to voice their thoughts and opinions, and yet for others it serves entertainment purposes. Personally, social media has allowed me to re-connect with family and friends abroad and rekindle close relationships. I am able to live halfway across the world but still be connected to my cousins and feel as if I was with them on their birthdays through their pictures. Social media definitely has its flaws, but the benefits are much more substantial. It allows us to connect to the world and all it has to offer. With the mere click of a button, we have all the information we need at our fingertips and much more than we could ever imagine. Whether it is people communicating from opposite ends of the world, or bloggers exchanging ideas on the best technique to make grilled cheese, social media connects the inhabitants of this world in a way that has never been done before.

In reference to my future career endeavors, social media can be a weary subject. If I am to advise patients and assist in improving their health and lifestyle, it is essential to rely on scientific journals and peer-reviewed articles. Social media has it benefits in presenting ideas and networking, but doesn't offer much in terms of information that can be relied on for professional use. If anything, all the social media outlets I will be using will be more for personal use. I use blogs and other forms of informal postings to find new recipes and get ideas of all sorts. I am not totally sure if magazines fall under the bracket of social media (which is a vague concept to me still), but that is another source of knowledge I rely on for everyday use. One benefit of social networking and all the various outlets is that I can use it to open my eyes to new ideas and research being conducted. Communication of research and important findings will have a bigger impact on my career and success, rather than knowing how someone made the best spinach pizza.

I never gave social media any thought before this class and how much of a role it plays in our lives. I used Facebook before this class and understood the impact of your words and opinions being posted on the worldwide web can have, but I can't wait to learn how I can network and expand my opportunities!

If interested in following another student in ALES 204, click here!

I've recently just become addicted to Pinterest, and found some awesome recipes here. I'm proud to announce I made Broccoli Cheese and Potato soup the other day and it was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment